Saturday, February 7, 2009

Mommy moment and more illness

I had a moment the other night... Kaylee woke up in the middle of the night. She has been fighting a stuffy/runny nose, cough, sneezing, etc since well before Christmas. It will start to ease up and then it hits again. The other night I decided to try sending her to bed without giving her any meds, but soon found out that I probably should have. When she woke up I gave her some meds and some juice and rocked her in her room. She let me hold her like I used to when she was a baby, and I hummed to her. I watched her doze in and out of sleep and my heart smiled.

As I rocked her and watched her sweet eyelids flutter - I was reminded of one of my favorite stories that has a line in it "I'll love you forever. I'll love you for always. As long as I'm living, my baby you'll be." I told her that line, and told her that it didn't matter how big she got, or how old, that whenever she wants to crawl in my lap and me to rock her, I would do it. I ended up putting her back to bed and went back to my bed with that smile still in my heart and a memory that I hope will always stay with me.

Speaking of things that make my heart smile - everytime I pick her up from school, she will look at me and say "MAMA!!!" It gives me warm fuzzies :)

But that was the beginning of the week. Yesterday (Friday) I get home from work and T. tells me that she doesn't feel well and has a fever of about 100. He had given her tylonol and she was asleep. We went through our normal routine and put her to bed. About 3am - she woke up and I went to check on her. She was burning up - her fever was 102!!! I gave her some pedialyte and motrin and put her in different pajamas. She stayed in our room for a little while, so we could make sure her fever was coming down - after we determined that she would be okay we put her back to bed. She woke again and T. checked on her. Her fever had broken (thank goodness) and he just put her in the bed with us. We decided to go ahead and take her to the extended hours at the doctors office this morning 1) because it is faster and 2) her cough is just terrible sounding. The doctor told us that she has yet ANOTHER ear infection. This is 2 since the first of January. The doctor seems to think that she has allergies and the ear infections are stemming from that. Good news - she reponds well to antibiotics so the doctor said that she doesn't foresee her needing tubes anytime soon. Bad news - it looks like we will be on an allergy medication for an indefinte amount of time. Also we don't know WHAT she may be allergic too. We go back in a month for a check-up to see how her ears look and see how she reponds to the allergy meds that were perscribed (since Benadryl doesn't TOUCH it).

I am going to try to vacuum her bedroom and the living room more often, try to spray lysol spray in her room and on her toys once a week, and I am going to (at the advice of my Mommy) put her stuffed animals in the dryer to see if maybe I can get some dust, etc out of them. I hope to be able to get her a new bedding set in the next few months where she will have a blanket/comforter that actually fits her bed. Does anyone else have any ideas as to what I can do to help rid my house of allergens? I am trying to do what I can because I don't want her to have to go through the whole allergy testing mess. I will if I have to - but I know that as she grows she may develop more allergies or grow out of those that she may have now.

So anyway - that's where we are. Say some prayers for us that we can figure this out and she will get better!!!

No comments: