Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Will it ever end?

It's been a whirlwind the past few weeks. Kaylee got better with the help of antibiotics and her runny nose and cough got better with allergy meds.


Thomas and I were sick by the time Kaylee got better - and we had trips to the doctor 2 weeks ago. Thomas had bronchitis and I had a sinus infection.



We thought that all of us might actually be getting better and then on Friday (Feb 28th) when I go to pick Kaylee up she is sitting in her teacher's lap. Her teacher said she had a small fever and obviously didn't feel good. She is usually one to get down and play with all the kids but they said she didn't really play at all that day. Her teacher had taken her temp. about 10 minutes before I got there. She knew I was on the way - so didn't call. If she had gotten a fever earlier in the morning they would have called me. Anywho - by the time I got her home - she had no fever. I gave her some tylenol anyway and went back to work. She was fine over the weekend. She was a little fussy - but nothing out of the ordinary.

Sunday we enjoyed what little snow Milledgville got but again - nothing out of the ordinary. UNTIL... Monday morning. I was hoping for a delayed day at work so I went to bed late. Bad idea. 1)GMC didn't have a snow day and 2) Kaylee woke me up at 4am. She was SCREAMING her head off. I went to get her and she was on FIRE. I immediatly stripped her down to her diaper and took her temperature. It was about 103. I made her take some Motrin and gave her some juice and we all sat up for about an hour. She finally went back to bed and so did Thomas and I. I called the doctor's office first thing in the morning. I knew that since this was the 3rd time in a little less than 3 months that she had a fever of about 103 that she needed to go. By the time we get to the office, wait and get to the room - her fever is back up to 103. It's been just over 6 hours - so they give her more Motrin. The pediatrician tells me that they are going to refer her to an ENT and gives her another antibiotic. So we go home and wait until Wednesday to see the ENT. This is the end right? NOPE!

Tuesday morning is another 103 fever - but she won't eat or drink much. About 4:30p or 5pm Kaylee and I curl in the recliner for a nap while T. goes to the PD to take care of some stuff. When we wake up just after 6:30ish Kaylee's fever is about 104. Within an hour it's up above 105! I freak. I call Thomas, the pediatrician, my friend that is a nurse, my parents. I finally call Thomas back and tell him we are taking her to the ER. I had tried the lukewarm bath - and she went crazy. She screamed. I wrapped her in just a towel (and diaper) and wiped her down with a warm cloth. Thomas came home and went with us to the ER. We got to the back fairly quickly and the nurses were wonderful. Her temp when we got there was 104.6. She got a tylenol suppository and a shot of antibiotics. (She wouldn't take any meds orally). An hour passed and her fever was 103+, so they taught Mommy how to make Kaylee take her medicine! They gave her Motrin and within an hour our baby girl was back to herself! We have been fever free ever since.

The appointment with the ENT went as well as could be expected. He doesn't recommend tubes at this point - because it is a sinus issue. Basically we were giving her meds to help clear her runny nose (of 4 months) but that was preventing her ears from draining. He added an additional 10 days of antibiotics and scheduled a 3 week check up. 1 week down, 2 to go. Here is to hoping it all clears.

Kaylee is starting to get back to her normal self. She is back at school after missing a week, and our schedule is returning to somewhat normal (when adding in the time change). My parents came to visit this past weekend and it was great to see them. Kaylee has taken to my Dad and calls him "Pop-pop" :)

I hope that we have better weeks to come! We hope that you are all well!!!

The Smiths

No comments: