Tuesday, November 3, 2009

so.. yeah.

It has been quite a while since I posted and a lot has happened. I've wanted to post - but at the same time - I didn't have the motivation when I actually had time. I have been keeping up with people though :)



I last posted at the end of August - a lot happened in the month of September. My Dad had not been feeling well - so when he went for a regular visit at the first of the month they did their usual thing and also told him that he probably just had a stomach virus and he should be better soon. A week later he wasn't any better - so he went to another doctor. They did bloodwork and the usual first time patient thing. I'm not sure what they told him - but he went home. He felt worse over that weekend. My mom called the doctor on Monday the 14th and they said to take my Dad for a CT scan and to come see them at 1:30pm. Well the news they got wasn't good. My Dad has a mass on his liver and lesions on his lungs. They admitted him to the hospital that night and did a biopsy on Tuesday. They said best case would that it would be lymphoma. On Wednesday they told us that it was already in his liver, lungs and heart. On Thursday they said it was liver cancer and not lymphoma. On Wednesday/Thursday they were talking about an experimental treatment that they could try that would shrink the tumors - but nothing would cure it. By the time I got there on Friday evening - his liver was failing and so were his kidneys. We were told that he would be on dialysis if he did not have cancer. The shock was that his levels changed so much in a 24hr time frame. The doctor suggested going home under hospice -and that is what we did.



We took Dad home on Monday, September 21st. That was one of the hardest weekends for me because 1) Thomas and Kaylee came back to Milledgeville and I stayed and 2) I had just been told that my Dad was dying.

Thomas was so incredibly supportive in my decision - and he knew that I needed to be with my Dad. I was so grateful that he and Kaylee were able to make it down there with me and even though Dad was in the hospital - Kaylee got to see her Pop-pop.



We rolled with the punches and all supported each other. We knew that Dad was quickly going down hill. On that Thursday I did the strangest thing ever - and that was go to the funeral home with my mom and oldest sister to plan/pick out things for my Dad's funeral. On Friday morning the 25th about 7am - my mom woke everyone up and told us to go to my Dad. Shortly after we all gathered around him - he took his last breath. It was peaceful...



Dad's funeral was on Sunday the 27th and it was a small service but truly amazing. The ECSO was there in force and the escort that he was given by them was unbelivable. He loved his job and it was evident that they loved him.


October was spent trying to cope and just taking one day at a time. We took a small trip for Kaylee to see trains, and tried to get back to normal. I took at class last week and I am now a Certified Child Passenger Safety Technician :) I am proud of that too!

This past weekend my Mom came up to visit for Halloween. We had fun and Kaylee was a kitty cat for the evening. Kaylee is doing well in school and I am proud of what she is learning!

I hope all of you are doing well!!

Michelle

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Michelle..I know tht time has passed..but wanted to let you know that you guys are in our thoughts and prayers. I'm a daddy's girl--and just reading your post made me cry. I know it's hard. Prayers and thoughts are with you.